Ford Taurus Owners Welcomes You!

Custom Search

Welcome to Ford Taurus Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Taurus Forum, like most online communities you must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Taurus Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Taurus X window sticker says Roof Rack Side Rails what about the RACK?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bighank

bighank

New Taurus Member

• Taurus Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:17 AM

Just purchased a Taurus X which has roof rack side rails and this is also listed on the window sticker. The rails are there but NO RACK. What gives? My Montana came with Rails and two cross pieces which are adjustable front to back. Am I missing something? Do you NOT get a rack with the Taurus X? What good are JUST the RAILS?
BIGHANK

Loose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free acccount.

#2 OFFLINE   2008FordTaurus

2008FordTaurus

New Taurus Member

• Taurus Member
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 01:48 PM

Hi,
I don't know as I have a Taurus sedan but have you looked at other X's on the lot?
2008 Ford Taurus Limited AWD
1994 Ford Taurus GL, 100K
1996 Dodge Dakota SLT, 56K

#3 OFFLINE   bighank

bighank

New Taurus Member

• Taurus Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 01:11 PM

Went back to dealer. Taurus X vehicles have rails but no crossmembers. They don't even have them as an OPTION. Things have really changed since I bought my last van. I guess the rails are for looks?!
Can buy some aftermarket crossmembers but NOT from FORD.
BIGHANK

#4 OFFLINE   bmcgrady

bmcgrady

New Taurus Member

• Taurus Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 05:04 PM

I'm looking for the same thing! I've not been able to find any from Ford or aftermarket. That's crazy! Why even put the rails there? The bad thing is, I've got a vacation planned for June, and was wanting to put a cargo box on the top, but without the cross rails, I just don't see it happening... banghead.gif

#5 OFFLINE   UltimateX

UltimateX

New Taurus Member

• Taurus Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE (bmcgrady @ May 3 2008, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm looking for the same thing! I've not been able to find any from Ford or aftermarket. That's crazy! Why even put the rails there? The bad thing is, I've got a vacation planned for June, and was wanting to put a cargo box on the top, but without the cross rails, I just don't see it happening... banghead.gif

Go to your local bike store they have the expertise to fit you vehicle. Yakima has a rack system that works with the Taurus X.

#6 OFFLINE   jeffro

jeffro

New Taurus Member

• Taurus Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:46 AM

QUOTE (bighank @ Mar 10 2008, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just purchased a Taurus X which has roof rack side rails and this is also listed on the window sticker. The rails are there but NO RACK. What gives? My Montana came with Rails and two cross pieces which are adjustable front to back. Am I missing something? Do you NOT get a rack with the Taurus X? What good are JUST the RAILS?
BIGHANK

Doesn' this just rip you? I have a Taurus X with 500 miles on it and am experiencing the same issue. I guess when it comes to Ford, you can not take anything for granted...like they may actually make the complete package for the roof rack. Like one of the other folks who responded, I have a vacation planned and am not certain how I will get the box on the roof. I have complained to Ford Customer Service and they have "acknowledged my complaint".

I have researched after market racks and it is not simple. Thule offers the 450 feet which will fit on the first half of the Taurus X rails, but not the back because they strap underneath. This allows a maximum of 27" to work with (which in my opinion is not enough for a secure mount). Yakima offers even a less span. Thule makes several FIT KITS, but I have not located an application guide to hel me see if one may work. According to Thule Cusotmer Service (which is beter than Ford's), they do not have a FIT KIT for this vehicle. I am going to keep loking and if I find anyting that will work, I will post it here. If any of you have had success, please also post it.

I am very disappointed with Ford.

#7 OFFLINE   jeffro

jeffro

New Taurus Member

• Taurus Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:48 AM

QUOTE (bighank @ Mar 11 2008, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Went back to dealer. Taurus X vehicles have rails but no crossmembers. They don't even have them as an OPTION. Things have really changed since I bought my last van. I guess the rails are for looks?!
Can buy some aftermarket crossmembers but NOT from FORD.
BIGHANK

BIGHANK, did you find any aftermarket cross members that worked on yor Taurus X?

Thanks,
Jeffro

#8 OFFLINE   jeffro

jeffro

New Taurus Member

• Taurus Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:09 PM

QUOTE (jeffro @ Jun 12 2008, 06:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BIGHANK, did you find any aftermarket cross members that worked on yor Taurus X?

Thanks,
Jeffro

I may have a solution. I went to a local REI and looked at each fo the available Thule Fit Kits. These are the kits tht mount to the vehicle that allow the Thule 430 feet to snap into place. The TK4 Fit Kit with some slight modification may work. I have not yet purchased and tried this kit, but I will in the next week or two. If I am right, here is what you will need:

- Thule TK4 Fit Kit (comes in a package of 4)
- Thule 430 feet
- Thule 58 inch load rails
- replacement allen head bolts for the Thule TK4 Fit Kit (these will need to be 1/2 inch longer than the standard bolts in order to make the kit work with the rails - purchase 8 of these at a local Home Depot)

By using the longer bolts, I think the TK4 will work. If someone trys it before me, please let me know.

#9 OFFLINE   redshirt

redshirt

New Taurus Member

• Taurus Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 10:21 AM

QUOTE (jeffro @ Jun 12 2008, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I may have a solution. I went to a local REI and looked at each fo the available Thule Fit Kits. These are the kits tht mount to the vehicle that allow the Thule 430 feet to snap into place. The TK4 Fit Kit with some slight modification may work. I have not yet purchased and tried this kit, but I will in the next week or two. If I am right, here is what you will need:

- Thule TK4 Fit Kit (comes in a package of 4)
- Thule 430 feet
- Thule 58 inch load rails
- replacement allen head bolts for the Thule TK4 Fit Kit (these will need to be 1/2 inch longer than the standard bolts in order to make the kit work with the rails - purchase 8 of these at a local Home Depot)

By using the longer bolts, I think the TK4 will work. If someone trys it before me, please let me know.

I'm anxious to find out if anyone has found a successful solution to the roof rack cross bar problem. I have vacation approaching as well and I'm looking for a way to transport a canoe on top of my Taurus X. I have visited the top 2 roofrack experts in the my area and their official answer is 'it can't be done'. Just a thought here, would it be possible to get ford to remove the taurus x roofrails and instal the older freestyle roof rack instead?
Redshirt

#10 OFFLINE   jesquive

jesquive

New Taurus Member

• Taurus Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Accessories, toys and any good looking addition to my Taurus X.

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:28 PM

Same tough luck here. The dealer gave me as option the THULE Raised Rack Rail solution, Part Number: A7FCS-45050-AA. I haven't looked at it but seems to me a makeshift.

#11 OFFLINE   Walker

Walker

New Taurus Member

• Taurus Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:07 AM

Thank you for all that replied and posted. I buil cross members for the Ford Tarus X for under $40.00 and they worked great over Thanksgiving carring a roof Top Storage Box and a Kyak. Here is what I bought at Lowes hardware:

1 inch Square 8 foot long Aluminum Tube - Cut in half to make 2 - 4' pieces
5/16 - 18 Finished Hex nut - 4 of them stainless steel
5/16 - 18 SS Carriage Bolts - 4 of them
5/16" SS Lock Washer
4 - SS Washers - Not sure what size but they will fit in the channels of the Roof Rack
4 - 1" round rubber ends - Hammered these onto the ends fo the bars so not open ends

I cut the 8' bar in half and laid them on the roof rack. I then marked and drilled holes in them over the roof rack channel. I then took a bolt with a washer and worked it sideways into the roof rack channel so when pulled up it would hit the channels of the roof rack and be secured. I then put the tube with hole over it, added a lock washer and nut. I then hammered on the rubber ends to it. It does not look bad at all.

It is was loud but definitely tolerable with the cross bars on the top with no load. When I put the car carrier on top, it was just as lound empty. Amazingly, when I loaded the carrier with bags and added a kyak carreier (thule) on top, it was very quite, almost no noise at all. Do not know why, but worked great.

Can't beat $40.00 solution. I carried about 250 pounds in the carrier and Kyak is about 50#

#12 OFFLINE   susu00042

susu00042

New Taurus Member

• Taurus Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:33 PM

QUOTE (Walker @ Dec 1 2008, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you for all that replied and posted. I buil cross members for the Ford Tarus X for under $40.00 and they worked great over Thanksgiving carring a roof Top Storage Box and a Kyak. Here is what I bought at Lowes hardware:

1 inch Square 8 foot long Aluminum Tube - Cut in half to make 2 - 4' pieces
5/16 - 18 Finished Hex nut - 4 of them stainless steel
5/16 - 18 SS Carriage Bolts - 4 of them
5/16" SS Lock Washer
4 - SS Washers - Not sure what size but they will fit in the channels of the Roof Rack
4 - 1" round rubber ends - Hammered these onto the ends fo the bars so not open ends

I cut the 8' bar in half and laid them on the roof rack. I then marked and drilled holes in them over the roof rack channel. I then took a bolt with a washer and worked it sideways into the roof rack channel so when pulled up it would hit the channels of the roof rack and be secured. I then put the tube with hole over it, added a lock washer and nut. I then hammered on the rubber ends to it. It does not look bad at all.

It is was loud but definitely tolerable with the cross bars on the top with no load. When I put the car carrier on top, it was just as lound empty. Amazingly, when I loaded the carrier with bags and added a kyak carreier (thule) on top, it was very quite, almost no noise at all. Do not know why, but worked great.

Can't beat $40.00 solution. I carried about 250 pounds in the carrier and Kyak is about 50#

---

I like your solution is looks nice. I ended up using 2"x4" wood with carrage bolts for $15 in cost.

#13 OFFLINE   mrhinkel

mrhinkel

New Taurus Member

• Taurus Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:54 PM

Hi,

I purchased a new Taurus "X" about a month ago and I'm finding the accessory roof cross bars to be "unobtainium". I checked with my dealer and two others, all say Ford doesn't make 'em. Then I went to a bike shop and found both Yakama and Thule do make cross bars but neither fit very well. The cross bars slip into a tower unit which in turn fastens to the existing side rails with an under strap. Because the roof line raises in the back, the side rails are half buried in a plastic mount bolted to the roof. That means either Yakama or Thule towers must be located toward the front of the car (where the underside of the rails are exposed), and only 28 inches apart. The back half of the roof would have no cross bar at all. That's not an acceptable solution for carrying ladders, long boards, or a canoe.

Then the light went on... The existing roof rails are a "U" shape, very similar to what electricians or plumbers use to suspend conduit or pipes from the ceiling in warehouse locations or above the drop ceilings in office space. This is called "U-Channel" or "Uni-Strut", and comes in 10 foot lengths. I'm not interested in the U-Channel, that's already mounted to the roof; what I'm looking for are the nuts that slide into the U-Channel.

The nuts are really a square or rectangular piece of steel with a 1/4-20 bolt thread -- they also come with a 3/8-16 thread. Some are flash galvanized for indoor use, and some are hot dip galvanized for outdoor use. Buy the hot dip if you can find them. The nuts also come with a spring mounted to the bottom side, this will hold the nut in place and not allow it to drop (electricians sometimes use the U-Channel in vertical locations where the nuts would ordinarily drop to the floor). You'll need to buy at least 4 nuts -- two for the front and two for the rear. You certainly could add a third cross bar in the middle, in which case you'll need 6 nuts. You'll also need to buy washers and bolts long enough to go through your cross bar and into the channel where the nut is located.

Installation is pretty simple; If your nut came with a spring, insert the spring into the existing roof channel. You'll have to press on one side of the nut in order to tilt the nut and slip it into the channel. Once the nut is inside the channel, you need to twist the nut 90 degrees in order to lock it in place. Repeat that same operation at the four corners of the roof.

Those of us with just a saw and drill can then cut and drill any piece of solid wood to make up the cross bars. Measure the side to side distance between the bolt holes and transfer that dimension to your piece of wood. Cut the wood about an inch or two longer on each side of the existing roof rails. My Taurus "X" measures 41 and a 1/4 inches between the bolt holes, add 2 inches to both sides and the length comes out to 45 and a 1/4 inches. I plan to make my cross bars from hard wood (either oak or mahogany) and then protect them against the weather with several coats of polyurethane.

The above cross bars should be able to carry a 125 Lbs load. Any heaver and you'll have trouble lifting the load up to roof level. Please do us all a favor, if you intend to carry anything heavier, please rent a truck or trailer and carry the load a bit closer to the ground.

Mark Hinkel
Willow Grove, Pa.

#14 OFFLINE   tscracer

tscracer

New Taurus Member

• Taurus Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:05 PM

Thanks to everyone for the helpful postings. I need some sort of carrying solution as well for a kayak and canoe so I'm off to the hardware store to buy my own nuts and bolts solution. The info on this thread helped me out a lot. No point consulting with Ford for a carrying solution. There ain't none!

#15 OFFLINE   sp33dracerman

sp33dracerman

New Taurus Member

• Taurus Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:25 PM

QUOTE (mrhinkel @ Apr 4 2009, 02:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

I purchased a new Taurus "X" about a month ago and I'm finding the accessory roof cross bars to be "unobtainium". I checked with my dealer and two others, all say Ford doesn't make 'em. Then I went to a bike shop and found both Yakama and Thule do make cross bars but neither fit very well. The cross bars slip into a tower unit which in turn fastens to the existing side rails with an under strap. Because the roof line raises in the back, the side rails are half buried in a plastic mount bolted to the roof. That means either Yakama or Thule towers must be located toward the front of the car (where the underside of the rails are exposed), and only 28 inches apart. The back half of the roof would have no cross bar at all. That's not an acceptable solution for carrying ladders, long boards, or a canoe.

Then the light went on... The existing roof rails are a "U" shape, very similar to what electricians or plumbers use to suspend conduit or pipes from the ceiling in warehouse locations or above the drop ceilings in office space. This is called "U-Channel" or "Uni-Strut", and comes in 10 foot lengths. I'm not interested in the U-Channel, that's already mounted to the roof; what I'm looking for are the nuts that slide into the U-Channel.

The nuts are really a square or rectangular piece of steel with a 1/4-20 bolt thread -- magnaflow catlaytic converter they also come with a 3/8-16 thread. Some are flash galvanized for indoor use, and some are hot dip galvanized for outdoor use. Buy the hot dip if you can find them. The nuts also come with a spring mounted to the bottom side, this will hold the nut in place and not allow it to drop (electricians sometimes use the U-Channel in vertical locations where the nuts would ordinarily drop to the floor). You'll need to buy at least 4 nuts -- two for the front and two for the rear. You certainly could add a third cross bar in the middle, in which case you'll need 6 nuts. You'll also need to buy washers and bolts long enough to go through your cross bar and into the channel where the nut is located.

Installation is pretty simple; If your nut came with a spring, insert the spring into the existing roof channel. You'll have to press on one side of the nut in order to tilt the nut and slip it into the channel. Once the nut is inside the channel, you need to twist the nut 90 degrees in order to lock it in place. Repeat that same operation at the four corners of the roof.

Those of us with just a saw and drill can then cut and drill any piece of solid wood to make up the cross bars. Measure the side to side distance between the bolt holes and transfer that dimension to your piece of wood. Cut the wood about an inch or two longer on each side of the existing roof rails. My Taurus "X" measures 41 and a 1/4 inches between the bolt holes, add 2 inches to both sides and the length comes out to 45 and a 1/4 inches. I plan to make my cross bars from hard wood (either oak or mahogany) and then protect them against the weather with several coats of polyurethane.

The above cross bars should be able to carry a 125 Lbs load. Any heaver and you'll have trouble lifting the load up to roof level. Please do us all a favor, if you intend to carry anything heavier, please rent a truck or trailer and carry the load a bit closer to the ground.

Mark Hinkel
Willow Grove, Pa.

very helpfull thanks

#16 OFFLINE   jsulen

jsulen

New Taurus Member

• Taurus Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 01:33 AM

BIGHANK

I just bought a ford '00 last month and I have noticed that I am missing a side rail hardware. Anyone here has an extra part?
I am currently in need of side rail hardware part.

#17 OFFLINE   03taurusforsale

03taurusforsale

New Taurus Member

• Taurus Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:35 PM

I just bought a ford '00 last month and I have noticed that I am missing a side rail hardware. Anyone here has an extra part?

Yep. I've got a few extra parts. They are attached to my car so you have to buy the whole thing to get them. :hysterical:

You should have bought an 03 instead. Many of the 2000 models dont have the AX4N tranny. If you don't , better change the fluid every 12k miles.

Attached Files

2003 Ford Taurus SE Flexfuel - Asking $4400

·Excellent Condition
·3.0 V6 OHV 182 cubic inch all steel block and heads.
·AX4N (or 4F50N) -19 bolt Transmission (The good, reliable model)
·Flexfuel – will take Ethanol & Gasoline
·23 mpg city / 31+ mpg HWY (fully loaded - tested & confirmed on last trip to Nevada)
·Ext. Color – White Interior: Gray Cloth
·Well maintained and owned by a mechanic.
·2nd owner - purchased at 65,000 miles
·Current Miles – 107,000 miles, mostly highway/long trips
·New high quality Breaks & Rotors put on approximately 2200 miles ago.
·All fluids including power steering fluid regularly changed.
·We are non-smokers and we don’t eat in the car.
·Vehicle runs perfectly, extremely clean throughout.
·Engine, transmission, and body: all original, never removed for any reason.
·Transmission is in excellent condition. Recent fluid flush and filter replacement
·A/C charged last summer and works great. Heat functions perfectly.
·CD, AM/FM radio
·Power windows, Power locks, Power mirrors, Cruise Control – all work perfectly.
·2 Key FOB’s
·Antilock Break System
·All Electrical and Charging Systems work perfectly.
·Great fuel efficient car for a family with kids
·Full Maintenance Records in print upon request
·Includes extra oil, oil filters, air filters, and more

This is a solid and reliable car throughout; and a great deal. It's had the proper routine maintenance over the years and the result is a vehicle that will last many many more. The only reason I am selling is we have a truck that hauls everyone now and no longer need the car.

KBB says the value is more but we are only asking $4400.00 because we haven't purchased new tires yet. We will leave that up to you so that you can get the tires you want along with any warranty, free rotation , etc.

Will also consider partial cash and trade for other items of value (gold bullion, Gold or silver coins, firearms, hunting bows, hunting gear/tools/supplies, survival items, Honda EU2000i/EU3000i Generator, older laptop computers in good working order with operating system CD, or other small items of interest).

Let me know. Htranch4599@yahoo(dot)com or 970 three one four - four two nine eight. I am located in Grand Junction Colorado. Search for "2003 Ford Taurus" under Western Slope Colorado Craigs List for more pictures and more info.