Ford Taurus Owners Welcomes You!

Custom Search

Welcome to Ford Taurus Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Taurus Forum, like most online communities you must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Taurus Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Winter Tires?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bob tarpey

bob tarpey

New Taurus Member

• Taurus Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 08:28 AM

I'm just wondering if the OE tires on my new SHO will do in the far northern reaches when the heavy white stuff begins to accumulate? Anybody? anybody? Thanks, Bob

Loose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free acccount.

#2 OFFLINE   Canadasvt

Canadasvt

New Taurus Member

• Taurus Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 06:33 PM

Not a chance. You'll need some winter boots, preferably on 16-17" rims, if they fit.

#3 OFFLINE   Retnavy

Retnavy

New Taurus Member

• Taurus Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE (bob tarpey @ Nov 25 2009, 08:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm just wondering if the OE tires on my new SHO will do in the far northern reaches when the heavy white stuff begins to accumulate? Anybody? anybody? Thanks, Bob

I live in Delaware. We just finished digging out of 20+ inches of snow. My current ride is an '07 Freestyle AWD, with OEM tires. Didn't have any issues. That being said, I previously owned an '03 Mercury Marauder, again with OEM tires. The first snow I encountered with it almost ended in disaster. I promptly bought a set of winter tires and rims from TireRack back then. I took that car places the state police couldn't go. I went places with that set up I never thought I would. So, when my new SHO arrives, I'll get a winter tire package for it, no doubt in my mind! It will be worth the cost, if you have the tire package with summer tires, don't drive without'em.

#4 OFFLINE   alanola

alanola

New Taurus Member

• Taurus Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:31 PM

QUOTE (bob tarpey @ Nov 25 2009, 09:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just got my SHO last week. I live in Canada in Saskatchewan and I have used winter tires for several years. Most recently I had them on my 2008 Taurus Limited AWD.
I ordered winter tires from Tirerack.com. They have 2 makes in the correct size. 245/45/20.
So this last few days is the first time I have driven for a few years without winter tires on. I can't wait to get them on. The OE tires are Michelin and while they do pretty well accelerating the braking and control is obviously much poorer. Also a stat is that summer or allseason tires are hard and loose traction on pavement at around 45 degrees F.

#5 OFFLINE   bobhamb

bobhamb

New Taurus Member

• Taurus Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:06 AM

Yes, you will need snow tires. In the owner's manual, it tells you if you drive in the snow, the 20" performance tires will not be sufficient. Purchased my SHO in January and had a set of 18" Bridgestone blizzak with TPMS on cast rims from Tire Rack. You can "train" your wheel senors yourself like I did or take them to the dealer to set them.

#6 OFFLINE   fbtwtf

fbtwtf

New Taurus Member

• Taurus Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:21 PM

I've put some 235/55R18 Toyo G02+ with tpms (bought on ebay at a fraction of the price) on 18" takeoff mustang rim.

#7 OFFLINE   charly

charly

New Taurus Member

• Taurus Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:30 AM

Here is what I'm using on the SHO....fairly mild winter but absolutely NO issues.
245/45R-20 Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow XL $242.00, I took them to a local tire store and had them mounted for a nominal fee.

Edited by charly, 06 February 2011 - 11:32 AM.